Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Shores, Heather, Week 3: Needs for Carrying Out a Game Plan

This is all really about making information accessible to all students. Since this is the case 
In order to professionally develop my use of technology, I am working towards meeting the ISTE NETS standards through use of the game plan. As anyone knows, have the right resources and materials is paramount. But first, a plan must be made for procuring those needed supplies. 

Indicator #1
Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
  • Engage students in exploring real world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.
  • GOAL -  Facilitate a class in which students are commonly working to meet the need of a group of people in their community or online community.

Meeting this goal will require several important materials. First I will need to find the literature piece in which students will be inspired to change their world. In the past, reading Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes has been just the thing to get students talking change. I believe hosting a kind of Socratic seminar, a sort of round table discussion, will aid in boosting interest and passion. From there I will need to gather information about my community and any places that might help those with specials needs. I'll need to see what might be out there in terms of education, safety, and relationship building for making connections between my students and people with disabilities. I'll need to be in close contact with someone who has conducted online publishing of whole classroom projects, so that I might see how we can make our communication more authentic by posting online. 

Indicator #2
Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences
  • Model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning.
  •  GOAL – Model current digital tools for students who are striving to use technology as a support for research and learning.
To meet this goal I will need to begin building a portfolio of tools and samples of those tools. I'd like to set up a social book marking of cites that could be useful for this endeavor. Symbaloo looks to be very promising. After I gather the websites into one place I need to begin researching short video clips on their use. I need to set aside "play" time for simply wondering into these places and conducting small projects of small uses for the cites so that I might be able to use the cites with confidence around my students. I need to create a network of people who are in touch with current technology tools. I need to check with those people regularly. Wahl explains that using a computer for graphic orgnaziners is nothing like our traditional pencil and paper organizer. I should really be tapping into this as well for the purpose of achieving my goal (Wahl, 2005). She makes us aware of the possibility to color code, and to move and manipulate boxes of data.


At the moment I currently have done small things to move towards these goals. I feel as if I'm on a Indiana Jones treasure hunt. The journey is arduous and full of tempting distractions. However, I'm meeting friends along the way how can help. Hearing the everyday uses for technologies exampled in this weeks videos helps me to brainstorm small ways in which I can begin to infuse technology into my class more and more (Laureate Education Inc., 2010). Hearing about Moodle has encouraged me to uncover its bounty. I hope to find someone in our district who is familiar with it. 



Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.


Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Meeting Students Needs with Technology, Part 1. [Webcast]. Dr. John Ross.


Wahl, L., & Duffield, J. (2005). Using flexible technology to meet the needs of diverse learners: What teachers can do. Retrieved from the WestEd website:http://www.wested.org/online_pubs/kn-05-01.pdf



3 comments:

  1. I was struck by your reference to the fact using digital graphic organizers is nothing like using the traditional pencil and paper graphic organizers. While this is so true, I think I often try to use technology to fit traditional strategies, thus minimizing their effectiveness. This comment has me rethinking my approach and instructional strategies as to how I am presenting and modeling the implementation of such tools to my students. After reading the article by Wahl and Duffiel in its entirety, I realize that my students have actually discovered and unlocked the true potential of these tools on their own. Too often, we don't give students enough credit for their natural tendencies to explore and discover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing on my blog! I was hoping the funky pancakes would bring more business, but I think it just comes down to my blogs are too long. Thanks for the thumbs up I read your response to me. It was very encouraging to hear you explain how, when and where you did things. It was also good to hear your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I'm pretty sure that's why I get few comments on my discussion posts as well. There's just so much to say about the loaded prompts. My mind just spins and spins. The Wahl and Duffiel article is a great jumping off resource for integrating technology. You should share it with the class in a discussion post where it will reach more people. I like when articles are simple and straight forward.

    ReplyDelete