Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Shores, Heather, Week 2, November 9th


You Got Game?
A technologies-based professional development plan.

The ISTE NETS and performance Indicators for teachers is a set of technology based professional development skills that are designed to help teachers achieve digital integration in their classroom (2008). Ertmer reminds us that technology is available to enhance content (Laureate Inc., 2011). She is insinuating that technology is not meant to be a time-consuming, added skill, but it is a tool to come alongside us as we continue through our content. The follow indicators have personal meaning to me. They are indicators I would like to improve upon. With that, I have chosen to implement Cennamo's GAME plan for implementing action and change (Cennamo, 2009). This philosophy of action strives toward a realistic completion and implementation of new activities. 


Indicator #1
Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
  • Engage students in exploring real world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.


GOAL -  Facilitate a class in which students are commonly working to meet the need of a group of people in their community or online community.
ACTION – Upon reading heavy literature in which my students are propelled to ask big idea questions, I will allow them to respond to literature in ways that allows them to address these questions and needs. One example comes from reading, Flowers for Algernon. Often my students are burdened with the need to help those less fortunate. I need to allow them that freedom. I need to not be so rigid in my ideas for evaluation of these projects.
MONITOR – Over the course of the current school quarter I should have addressed this goal at least once. I should be able to keep a daily log of questions and present my ideas for the unit in running tab fashion as we work through how to help others. A better, more current way to keep track of this would be to keep the running tab of activities available as posts on a blog so that I can revisit them and others a can witness the journey.
EVALUATE – At the end of the project I will need to have outside sources look at the final product and conduct interviews with me to gauge the success of the project. I will need to conduct self- evaluations of the process by reviewing pasts posts and reflecting on outcomes.

Indicator #2
Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences
  • Model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning

GAME – Model current digital tools for students who are striving to use technology as a support for research and learning.
ACTION – Make a list of as many new programs and internet applications available and helpful to school. Attempt to try one or two of them out. Hold a short club after school in which students can view different technologies. Brainstorm with students uses for these technologies.
MONITOR -  Have students add to your blog, their reaction to the new technologies. Keep a running list of mastered apps available on your blog. Include hyper links. 
Evaluate -  At the end of the year see which ones where used the most and for what purposes. Create a technology matrix that shows each technology and its uses and frequencies. 

Ertmer shares the need for a level of confidence when taking on the mantle of technology savvy teacher (Laureate, 2010). Developing that level of confidence is connected to mastering a set of beliefs and how to learn new programs. It is my belief that applications and programs will continually change. However, If I can commit to developing modes of attitude and best practices that help me uncover and master those new applications then I have prepared myself quite completely for future programs. 


Resources


Iternational Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved fromhttp://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program Number Four: Enriching content area learning experiences with technology part 1 [Webcast]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore, MD: Author

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Promoting self directed learning with technology, part 1. [Video webcast]. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/ default. learn? CourseID=6072063&Survey=1&47=6819430&ClientNodeID= 984650 & coursenav=1&bhcp=1


2 comments:

  1. I like the action in Goal 2 that refers to involving students in the brainstorming process of applying technology to educational experiences. Too often, I find myself getting wrapped up in my own planning that I forget to look to those who matter most for input: my students. I like the idea of creating an ongoing dialogue with students through a blog or wiki to allow them to collaborate in "lesson planning." As they learn new technology tools and applications, they can report on them as well as suggest previous lessons they are familiar with that they see a potential match. They never cease to amaze me with their creativity and ideas when given the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the input Heather. You are right. We might think we have all the good ideas, but these guys sees things and ways for doing things that we don't.

    ReplyDelete