Sunday, December 18, 2011

REFLECTION


Reflection Essay
Language arts is, quite possibly, the best course in which a teacher might learn to integrate other content. Language arts is not necessarily a topic so much as it is the mode in which we communicate all other contents. Herrington and Kervin tell us that technology has the capacity to be an avenue for teacher feedback and identification of improvement (Herrington & Kervin, 2007). Therefore, integrating technology into the content of language arts has far reaching meaning for all contents.
GAME Plan
At the beginning of this course, I developed two goals for a GAME plan (Cenamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009)) and then prepared to find ways to carry out the goals through action. My first goal was that I might facilitate a class in which students are commonly working to meet the need of a group of people in their community or online community. I would love for learning to become a self-less act, where students see their learning as helping others. My second goal was to model current digital tools for students who are striving to use technology as a support for research and learning. While trying to meet these new goals I learned valuable lessons such as the need for confidence in ourselves with relation to technology (Laureate, 2010). In order to build that confidence I need to continually practice new applications as well as allow my students to explore on their own.  The goal of technology integration has made the most impact in my classroom. I was very nervous about trying the lesson on classroom networking, but it turned out to be fun and engaging. I plan to continue this tool in my classroom and develop it further. Small, baby steps of progress helped me to see changes that needed to be made before my commitment was too large. For example, the topic I chose in discussion and for our problem was poor; it did not resonate with the students. I need to devise a better way to present the problem or topic in our conversations. The GAME plan is a great tool for students in that it should help with self-directed learning. Often times, students are not aware of the next step; this plan helps them to see that. I might use the GAME plan in such activities as to improve reading scores. Students are given goals and a means to reach them. This game plan might help them monitor themselves and direct their learning.
Technology Integration and Instruction
I cannot truthfully say that class solely impacted my view on technology, but I can say that it directed my view. This class offered few philosophical views and beliefs about technology integration and focused on how to integrate technology. I was relieved to see so many questions about the actual workings of web 2.0 skills. Due to the great instructions and assignments that followed, I will be able to confidently add new activities to my class. I am currently trying to find a grant to have laptops or tablets brought into my classroom. Our school really needs a traveling computer lab. The idea is to take what I have learned here and develops it over the summer to fully use in next year’s curriculum. This year, I’ll be able to conduct small practice lessons using the new technologies.
For the time being problem-based learning will have to be something I do after our state testing is conducted. Our schools are so focused on scores at the moment. Problem based learning is such a powerful tool because it gives students the idea that they are important enough and smart enough to improve society. On the other hand, I will be able to begin using social networking immediately. The possibilities for curriculum integration are endless. For example I am looking at way to use them on my vocabulary days when we are in the computer. I am looking at using them to respond to reading excerpts. Students love the interaction because its non confrontational and accessible to varying personalities.
At the moment I have what is called a Flip video camera. It’s the size of a camera. I recently shot video of my kids texting online and sharing their opinion of the collaboration assignment. I would like to create a digital story that showcases the collaboration lesson. In a few months we will be reading a novel of my choosing. It is my plan to develop a project that will result in a digital story. I would also like to have my students create digital stories concerning classroom norms in my room so that upcoming students might gain from their interpretation of class rules.
All in all, the value of this class will be immeasurable in the years to come, as its usefulness will double upon itself as technology finds its way deeper into the classroom. Students will be “responsible for locating learning opportunities and completing tasks to meet [their] own learning goals” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). The GAME plan will help students to stay focused in their learning. Problem based learning provides purpose and direction through authentic topics. Digital story telling gives a means of communicating rich knowledge being transmitted and synthesized. Finally, social or educational collaboration provide the glue to connect learners to their work and each other’s work.
References
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom
use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA:
Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
Herrington, J., & Kervin, L. (2007). Authentic learning supported by technology: Ten
suggestions and cases of integration in classrooms. Educational Media International, 44(3), 219–236. 
Retrieved from the Academic Search Complete database.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010 a). Program Number Ten: Spotlight on
technology: Digitial Storytelling, part 1 [Webcast]. Integrating Technology Across the
Content Areas. Baltimore, MD: Author
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010 a). Program Number Ten: Spotlight on
technology: social networking and online collaboration, part 1 [Webcast]. Integrating
Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore, MD: Author

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010 b). Program Number Eleven: Spotlight on
Technology: social networking and online collaboration, part 2 [Webcast].Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore, MD: Author
Moursund, D. (2007). Problem-based learning and project-based learning. Retrieved from
Smith, F. (2007, April 20). How to use social-networking technology for learning. Retrieved
from the Edutopia website: __http://www.edutopia.org/print/3980__.

No comments:

Post a Comment